Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Chye Sim with Carrots

I cooked this dish with the goal of achieving something similar to the taste of the sauteed mini vege I had at Xiao Xuan Feng.

I thought I am nearly there, but my hub wasn't too impressed. His grouse is as usual. Too watery. He is one who likes his vegetables more 'glue-y', the type whereby it's thicken with flour and water. But I am so tired of having vegetables cooked in this style. There had to be times I get my way, no? :P



















Ingredients
  • 1 packet of Chye Sim
  • 10 (agar-agar) sliced carrots
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
Seasonings
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp cooking wine
  • 1 tsp chicken concetentrated stock*
  • 2 cups soya bean stock

*this is something out of the norm. I speculated this is what was included in the sauteed mini vege I had at Xiao Xuan Feng, so thought of giving it a try. The gravy turned out to be good!

Method
1) Heat oil in high heat for 10 seconds
2) Add garilc (careful of splattering! The oil splattered onto my leg. *sniff)
3) Add the carrot and stem of the chye sim and stir till moderately soft
4) Stir-fry the leaves portion of the chye sim
5) Add the seasonings
6) Do not overcook. Serve

No comments: