Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ma Po Tofu (Spicy Bean Curd)

This is my hub's favourite dish. And my mother's too, I recently discovered. My hub has been asking me to cook this since last year, but I kept procrastinating. Perhaps, I thought I wouldn't do a good job if I didn't like the dish to begin with.

However, my recent visit to Lao Beijing changed my perception of how Mapo Tofu could taste like. I developed my liking for Mapo Tofu and decided to give it a shot this time.

The end product was good. It wasn't bland nor too spicy like those I have tasted before (other than Lao Beijing's one, of course). I will definitely cook this again soon. :)





















Ingredients

  • 1 firm Tofu
  • 1/2 cup Minced Pork
  • 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 3 slices of ginger
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
  • 2 tbsp chilli paste (I used Lee Kum Kee)
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp water
Seasoning
  • 1/2 cup of stock
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp cooking wine
Method
1) Heat oil in high heat for 10 seconds
2) Stir-fry garlic and ginger for 15 seconds
3) Add minced pork and stir-fry, dividing the meat if it lumps together
4) Add chilli paste (Doban Tjan) and continue to stir-fry
5) Add seasoning, followed by bean curd.
6) Simmer for 2-3 minutes
7) Thicken the gravy with flour and water

This is easy eh? ;P

No comments: